The Meghalaya State Judicial Academy was established on May 4, 2016 vide HC Notification No. HCM.II/28/2015-Estt/1388-A dated 4th May 2016
Prior to the establishment of the High Court of Meghalaya and also the Meghalaya State Judicial Academy,Judicial Officers under the Meghalaya Judicial Service and the Meghalaya Higher Judicial Service were sent for training in the North Eastern Judicial Officers’ Training Institute (NEJOTI), Guwahati, now Assam Judicial Academy.
NEJOTI is a training institute for judicial officers of the north eastern states of the Gauhati High Court.
With the establishment of the High Court of Meghalaya in 2013, judicial officers of Meghalaya continued to undergo induction training programmes at NEJOTI till the the time when the Meghalaya State Judicial Academy was established on 4th May, 2016.
The Academy strives :
- To provide induction training to the newly selected Judicial Officers as mandated by the Shetty Commission;
- To provide continuing judicial education to Judicial Officers throughout their career in the State of Meghalaya;
- To conduct in-service training/refresher courses for the Judicial Officers;
- To provide continuous education to other professionals like members of the Bar, Police Officers, Public Prosecutors, Government PLeaders, Medical Officers, Ministerial Officers working in the Courts;
- To undertake research projects for improving court performance, judicial capacity,litigant satisfaction with the court system;
- To publish and disseminate information relating to results of research and other training courses/programes;
- To conduct study, analysis and research relating to legal education and practical problems in the working of District Courts;
- To organize seminars/workshops on current legal issues;
- To design curriculum to enhance judicial skills required for writing judgment, comunicating with litigants, bar and staff of the court, appreciation of law and evidence;
- To perform as a center of excellence;
- To create adherence to the constitutional principles amongst the members of subordinate judiciary by encouraging judicial decisions founded on the principles of freedom, equality, dignity,equity and fairness;
- To do all such other lawful acts and things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the objectives of the Academy.